Published on Wednesday, 08 March 2017 09:58
Written by Super User
Spring is right around the corner. So, put away the snow gear and start preparing for spring cleaning. If you need the extra space to unclutter your home, we here at South Pacific Warehouses can help you.
Packing a self-storage unit can be tricky. Maximizing the unit space is key. It is also important to put the things you plan on accessing the most nearest to the door. Here are some tips to help you pack your storage unit effectively:
- Since South Pacific Warehouses and Storage is not a climate controlled facility, the humidity of the unit can cause your items to warp and mildew. To help prevent this, leave some space between your items and the wall of the unit. This will allow air to circulate better. Also, consider plastic sheets or old bed linens to lay over items to prevent dust.
- Try to use boxes that are the same size. This will make it easier to pack the unit and it will conserve space as well. Remember to put the heavier ones on the bottom. If possible, try to stack the boxes to the ceiling. Units with roll up doors, make sure.
- When stacking boxes, or placing objects in your storage, keep clear of the roll up door tracks and the door itself. Boxes and objects may shift after you close the door causing it to jam and not being able to open the door.
- If you are storing metal objects like lawn mowers, tools, file cabinets, or the like, it is a good idea to treat them with a rust protector first.
- If you’re storing a refrigerator, leave the door open. This will prevent mold from building up.
- Make sure to not keep anything flammable in your storage unit. Many accidents happen because people store gas, oil, or paint thinner in their units.
- NO FOOD. This will surely attract unwanted pests.
- Leave a small walkway in the middle of your unit so you can access your stuff.
- Try to store your most expensive items in the back of your unit. Although most self-storage facilities provide security and you will surely have a lock on your door, you can never be too careful.
Here at South Pacific Warehouses and Storage, we have managers that live on-site to further enhance the safety and security of your storage unit. Bob and Kathy will be happy to answer whatever questions you may have.